19 January 2006

iTunes Mayhem and Good Food

So while John's been in California, I've taken on the task of fixing all the categorization & titling errors in our MP3 collection... all 5,200 songs. Why Simon and Garfunkel was classified as "Techno" I really don't know - but it's all fixed now. I've basically done nothing but that and fixing artist names... you know: White Stripes, The vs. The White Stripes, etc..

I'm finally done, and I can sync my new 60G iPod. Don't ask - John got it for me without my knowledge. I was a little miffed because I don't NEED a new iPod, but we're going to give my old one to his step-sister who has been dying for one for a couple years now. So I guess it all evens out.

I have to ask though - does anyone else find iTunes annoyingly oversimplified? I mean, I know it's supposed to be simple so that even Grandma can use it - but that doesn't mean they can't build in more advanced functionality for people who might want it. For instance - why not allow sorting of multiple fields? I sort by Artist, which is all fine and good - but what if I want to flag duplicate songs (iTunes format vs. MP3 converted format) - I have to scan the list manually to do so. I know what you're thinking - and I also find the "Find Duplicate Songs" woefully inadequate, since it doesn't look at the Album name as well. Sure, I know I have two versions of [song name] - but one is live and the other is the studio version. That's not a duplicate.

They could have also made the interface more user-friendly where you can do bulk updates - like Find & Replace White Stripes, The with The White Stripes or replace "RapRandB" with "Rap"... but no. You have to go song by song. Or am I missing out on some functions that I didn't know were there?


So last night SecretRudy and I went out to dinner to this place we haven't been to since Bowling for Columbine opened at Pipers Alley. It's an upscale Mexican restaurant called Salpicon. I know, to many people that's an oxymoron because Mexican is synonmous with "Burritos as big as your head" or with Chevy's/PePe's. This is Mexican ingredients done gourmet style. For instance a Filet Mignon with an adobo sauce and melted chihuahua cheese and cilantro. We did something I never, ever do - we splurged... big time.

See the menu has an option of a 7-course chef's choice meal - small samples of dishes the chef chooses. What the hell we thought - when do we ever do this. Don't feel bad that John wasn't there - he woulnd't have eaten half of it anyway. I still want him to try this place though, since it's just sooooo goood. It's my second best meal ever. The seven courses were:

1) mini tostadas, one with marinated tuna and the other with pulled pork in adobo sauce.
2) A crepe filled with mushrooms with a poblano pepper sauce.
3) Spinach & goat cheese salad with sesame seeds and a chipotle dressing.
4) Grilled quail in an excellent mole sauce.
5) The crescendo - the filet I described above.
6) A small cheese plate with toasted hazelnuts and quince paste.
7) Flan with a dome of carmelized sugar on top.

We weren't too crazy about the quail - it wasn't bad, it was just kinda 'eh'. But everything else was excellent. I know it sounds like a lot of food - and it was. But each portion was sized appropriately so we were full but not busting at the seams full. Eh, what's splurging for a great meal every once in a blue moon. There's nothing like a good dinner.

8 comments:

Jewish Atheist said...

They could have also made the interface more user-friendly where you can do bulk updates - like Find & Replace White Stripes, The with The White Stripes or replace "RapRandB" with "Rap"...

You can do this... just sort by artist, select all with "White Stripes, The", right-click and "get info", and just type "The White Stripes" into the Artist field.

R said...

JA: Really? Dang. I've been doing it manually too.

L: that meal sounds delish! Made me drool over here. By the way, if you have another IPod you need to get rid of, I'll take it. I think mine is officially dead. But I'll be taking it to the Apple Store at some point just to get the death certificate.

The Zombieslayer said...

Why Simon and Garfunkel was classified as "Techno"

That's okay. I have Velvet Acid Christ as porn groove. If you've never heard VAC, let me know. If not, I'll email you a few of their mp3s. Awesome stuff. Considering you and I like some of the same stuff, you might like 'em.

White Stripes? never got into them. I know they're huge and all, but a band needs a bass player. their music just seems like it's missing something. why can't they just get a bass player?

As for quail, I like quail. Used to go quail hunting all the time. Their meat is kind of sweet. They're really small though, so you have to eat either a bunch of them or something with quail to be filled up.

Laura said...

Thanks JA. That helps, though a bulk term search and replace would still be nice. ;)

Sorry R: John's keeping his drive iPod for a while longer, since it holds more than the nano and it's a an external hard drive. It sucks that they (Apple) don't support the old ones anymore. Jason went in there with a problem with his, one of the first ones, and they told him he just has to buy another one. GREAT customer service!

Zombie: Never heard VAC - send me a couple if you don't mind, sounds interesting. I also don't care for the White Stripes - they're John's bag. They're ok, but all the songs sound the same to me.

Anonymous said...

ITunes sux for several reasons, mostly because it's slow. I purchased a program for US$20 called... Tag & Rename. Pretty nice... goes out to Amazon to download artist, track names, album info, pictures, etc. Worth every penny.

The meal sounds pretty nice... the steak in adobo sounds to die for.

greatwhitebear said...

a) as a grandfather, let me tell yu how much I appreciate iTunes simplicity

b) White Stripes are awesome

Sadie Lou said...

I'm with papa bear--if iPod was more complicated, I'd be spending too much time with it. There is such a thing as being overly organized.
Zombie Slayer said something about the White Stripes needing bass--I couldn't put my finger on what they were lacking but that is most definately it--and they record in a closet in their house.

Notta Wallflower said...

Hmm, I like iTunes the way it is, but yeah, I've had some music classified in some funky ways. I wish more artists were on there, but really, there are plenty. I can see why an artist would not want to be on iTunes - no one would buy their whole CD's. However, with supernova and related sites, how much music actually is purchased anymore?