13 December 2005

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays and the Myth of the war on Christmas

I'm really tired of hearing people complain about saying "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas".

John Stewart had a great piece last week on the Daily Show last week. Watch it here.

Anyway, here's my problem with this argument:

Only Christians who are weak of character and who aren't secure in their own beliefs would be threatened by the use of "Happy Holidays". We purport to want to be a more inclusive culture, we promote diversity and tolerance of others beliefs (hell, our Constitution is founded on that principle), and yet now there's a war on Christmas.

The argument goes the other way too. As a non-Christian, I'm not offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, or if I see a Nativity outside a public building. (I'll get to my nativity question later.)

But the point is that there are other holidays in December that are celebrated by millions of people, and "Happy Holidays" is all incusive, whether the person is secular, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Muslim, or Hindu. Or whether they celebrate a cultural festival like Kwanza, or St. Nicholas Day - which are not religious observances, but celebrations of culture and history.

Trees are another story, because the use of the evergreen as a symbol of the winter holiday season did not originate with Christmas. It actually dates back to Germany, where it was part of the wheel of the year celebrations of agrarian pagan societies. The tree would be cut down and brought into the home and decorated with ornaments representing wishes for the coming year, and with lights. The reason for this is that Winter is a very dark and dangerous time. Food shortages, illnesses, and bad weather claimed many lives. Evergreens were a symbol that the life would return to the earth, and the candles (now electric light) were a celebration of the gradual return of the light after the Winter Solstice. During Solstice (or Yule) celebrations, a log from the previous years' Maypole, made from the Yule tree was brought into the home and decorated with candles, Mistletoe and Holly (also plants that survive the Winter) - this is the Yule Log. The previous years Yule Log is used to start the celebratory fire. After Yule is over, the decorations were removed from the tree and the branches were stripped. This would be the maypole for the Beltane celebrations the following may. The maypole would be cut into the Yule Log, and the cycle begins again.

Now, on to Nativity. We were at our friends' house the other day, and they had a nativity out, with everybody except Jesus. I asked "where's Jesus?" I never knew that some people didn't put him out until Christmas day because he wasn't born yet. But then, what's everyone else standing around staring at? Technically the Nativity should be a week long process where you put out characters one at a time AFTER Christmas day - because before then, there's nothing to look at. The wise men hadn't shown up yet, neither had the Angel. So what's the deal?

I know, I got off topic. But to all those on either side who are either offended by "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" - grow up and get over it. Celebrate the holidays your own way. If you're secure enough in your own beliefs, whatever they may be, then whatever anyone else does shouldn't matter.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Non-issue made up by media windbags. Next topic...

Shawn said...

Wow...I feel dumb...I thought that was a homeless family camping in front of the church.

And to think I wasted all that time feeling bad for them!

Laura said...

Shawn, you made me think of an interesting point... you never hear anyone say that Jesus was born homeless and was poor because his family didn't work hard enough. Hmmm....

tshsmom said...

Guess what? Bush's Christmas card says Happy Holidays, not Merry Christmas! I can't wait until this topic comes up with my parents again. I get to tell them that St Bush sent Happy Holidays greetings. mwahahaha

I also LOVE to set fundie friends straight on the "evils" of mystic sciences like astrology. Just ask them how the wise men knew where Jesus would be. They followed the star for months. Ummm....maybe it was...ASTROLOGY?

dbackdad said...

It's ironic how this non-existent shit storm that the fundies have created has actually hurt themselves the most. Because of the urban myths floating around about people being afraid to say "Merry Christmas", I'm sure some Christians are afraid to say it.

Sadie Lou said...

Happy Holidays is a well wishin' catch all phrase that is totally appropriate and used by Christians and non Christians alike.
It takes too long to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

"anyone who says 'Christmaska' should be drug out in the street by eight, tiny reindeer"
--Armstrong & Getty

Heathen said...

Wow. There is something that I agree with Bush on. I never thought that would happen. I think that I need to shoot myself now.

I guess that I don't get the big deal. "Happy Holidays" is more inclusive than Merry Christmas and reflects the understanding that not everyone is Christian. Besides, if you want to get technical, Jesus ISN'T the reason for the season. I remember my freshman high school English teacher pointing out that December is too cold for shepards to be out with their flocks. He said that biblical scholars think that Jesus (if he existed, which is a whole different debate) was born in late August/early September (if the gospels can be trusted to provide accurate information, which again is another debate). The church picked late December to celebrate Christmas because they were trying to help convert people to their religion, people who were already celebrating the return of the sun at solstice. They did it with a lot of the prechristan European indigenous religions. If you go back and look at most of holidays celebrated the major European religions that Christian priests were trying to convert people from, you will find that those holidays correspond to Christian holidays. The most obvious of these is Christmas, All Saint's Day, and Easter, however there are also a lot of Christan holidays that are not as commonly celebrated now- St. John's day for Summer Solstice for example.

Donna said...

Did you see the clip from the O'Reilly Factor that the Daily Show had where Bill O'Really was saying that anyone who was offended by his saying Merry Christmas was insane - they're just two words. Pan to someone asking him if he's offended by someone saying Happy Holidays to him and he said yes absolutely. And therein lies the wingnuts' basic problem - I'm right and everyone else is wrong. It's ok for me to be offended by you but it's NOT ok for you to be offended by me.

Peace, love, and happiness to y'all. If you're offended by that, piss off.

Laura said...

Donna - that was the gist of the "Andy Rooney" thing as well...

Wingnuts (on either side) are not inclusive, and are usually unyeilding. Most of us sane people could care less about the petty crap...

Laura said...

Christmika? Uh... yeah that's just dumb.

sigh

CyberKitten said...

Good post. Always nice to see people talking sense about a non-issue.

The Zombieslayer said...

But to all those on either side who are either offended by "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" - grow up and get over it. Celebrate the holidays your own way. If you're secure enough in your own beliefs, whatever they may be, then whatever anyone else does shouldn't matter.

Well said.

By the way, I couldn't be more wrong. I know you don't care, but remember when I was giving you crap about the Bears at the beginning of the season? Now I wonder how far the Bears will go in the Playoffs.