03 January 2006

On Feminism III: Radical Feminist Theory

Radical Feminists are the ones most people are familiar with, but who are rarely understood.

Sure, people see Radical feminists as the feminazis who think marriage is legalized rape. However, most people don’t stop to realize that this is the most extreme view under this umbrella theory, nor do they attempt understand the theoretical reasoning behind these assumptions. Part of this is the media mis-representation and simplification and part of it is that Radical feminism is a theory based more on politics and emotions than Liberal feminism or Marxist feminism, and therefore offers much more emotionally charged solutions to problems.

Basically this theory revolves around two of the core concepts discussed above: “the personal is political” and Women's Experience (both discussed in a previous post). In a nutshell, Radical Feminists argue that women are a collective sisterhood who share a universal experience of oppression. They believe that women’s oppression is the most widespread form of oppression in the world. They fight for the liberation of women’s bodies from male control and reclaim the notion of “innate femaleness” – that women are essentially different from men.

They argue for equitable not equal treatment – because equal treatment would imply that women and men are the same. You may say that sounds a lot like ‘Separate but Equal’ – and to some Radical feminists, that's exactly what it means. Where Liberal feminists want to reform the current system to get "a bigger piece of the pie," Radical feminists think “the whole pie is rotten*” and argue for a complete overthrow of the current system which they see as based completely on patriarchal social relations.

Some Radical feminists define heterosexual marriage as the same oppressive system on a smaller scale and therefore reject the traditional family system. The most extreme of the Radical feminists are the Separatist Feminists. I won’t get into detail, but basically these women reject men and feel that any woman who doesn’t reject men is part of the problem. Charlotte Bunch’s 1972 essay “Lesbians in Revolt” is a good read for those of you interested in knowing more.

Though I disagree with some of the ways this theory is taken to extremes, I also have to defend it from people who criticize it without thinking critically about some positive things this set of theories has brought for women. Where Liberal Feminism has been decried as trying to make women into men, Radical feminism allowed women to criticize the systematic oppression of women in societies without telling women that in order to be free they had to do what men do. This allowed women to embrace feminine traits while rejecting the social system that tossed them aside as worthless and weak.

Radical feminism also addresses the dominant views of masculinity, and was one of the first social theories to argue that men are socialized to believe they are better, stronger, and more important than women. It's not an inherent trait that men are bad - it's that they are taught to be bad.

Without extreme views grabbing the attention of the nation in the 60s & 70s and making people stop and think about how their personal relationships and actions had political meaning, the modern women's movement may never have gotten off the ground. These were the women that insisted that when a woman is beaten by her husband that it is a social problem, not a personal family problem. Though every theory has its faults and every group has its wingnuts, to toss this theory aside as a whole without examining the meaning of its parts is, to me, irresponsible.

I will stick with using prostitution as the subject of analysis for each of the theories:

To a true Radical feminist, because women's oppression permeates every aspect of our society, a prostitute or sex worker is never acting of her own free will, but is the victim of either direct or subtle coercion. Subtle coercion could be the pervasive message in our society that tells girls they are merely sex objects for men. The Barbie doll that says "Math is hard," the sexualized bathing suits for grade-school girls... the list goes on. If a girl internalizes this message and truly believes that all she is good for is to please a man, then the obvious outcome is to realize her "destiny" as an object for men to enjoy - the sex worker. The images often seen in pornography are also strong issues to Radical Feminists. They see pornography as endorsing violence toward women, enforcing they myth that men are inherently more powerful than women and should dominate women.

Indeed, sex itself to a Radical Feminist is a politically charged act that often promotes male dominance. To some radical feminists, this is why heterosexual marriage is seen as a legal form of prostitution - a woman giving up her autonomy for economic security. This has changed somewhat, but remember that in many places in the world (and some states in this country), women are still considered subservient to their husbands.

Radical Feminism is also most guilty of trying to universalize women's experiences into some global collective. To argue that all women, everywhere - regardless of economics, race, religion or social status, experience oppression in the same way and to the same degree is what sparked the third wave of feminism that emphasizes the importance of these differences. For some women in the world, the economic devastation of their nation by global, imperial capital is the greatest hurdle they face in achieving freedom. For many poor and minority women in the United States, their men are also oppressed by the current system - so to say that they should stand together with the middle-class white women to fight the oppression of men was utterly ridiculous. But without the Radical Feminists as the catalyst, we might not be talking about these matters at all.

Kreps, Bonnie. “Radical Feminism 1”. 1970. Feminist Theory Reader: Local and Global Perspectives. Ed. Carole R. McCann and Seung-Kyung Kim. New York: Routledge, 2003. 45-49.

For anyone interested in an anthology that gives a great overview of many different types of feminist issues, I highly recommend the book above Feminist Theory Reader: Local and Global Perspectives. The authors went to great care to select essays and articles from a variety of viewpoints, and give good summations of each type of theory in their section introductions.

10 comments:

Heathen said...

Great posts on feminism. I really don't have anything to add- you've done a great job at explaining different types of feminism. As you may know, the idea that there are multiple types of feminism is a surprise to most people- they assume that it is a monolithic identity. Few people realize that while all feminism focuses on the recognition of and battle against gender oppression, as well as valuing women and their perspectives, that where the source of that oppression is located and how it is combated varies with the type of feminism. Most people view feminism as a mix of radical and liberal feminism. Indeed, a lot of the research on feminism does this- even when conducted by feminists- as I found out when I wrote my speciality paper on feminist identity.

Thanks for these posts- now that I am off my mini vacation (that mostly involved avoiding my computer) I will be sure to add my voice to future discussions of feminism.

The Zombieslayer said...

Heh. I was reading this at work, but couldn't respond because they log our sites we go to. I don't want anyone at work to know I have a blog, especially when I rant about certain people's stupidity or talk about the hot babe at work.

Anyways, very informative. You did a fair job of showing that not all radical feminists are "feminazis."

I have no problem with people in movements as long as they don't have a problem with me. We (Mrs. Z, me, and Junior) have a patriarchal household. I make all the decisions and the three of us live by them. Some of my immediate relatives and good friends have matriarchal households where the mother is queen and the family lives by her decisions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with patriarchy, just like there's nothing wrong with matriarchy. Some feminists have made patriarchy a bad word. The longer a couple is together, the more likely one or the other will be dominant and the other will be submissive.

True equality is very rare. Plus, with authority comes a lot of responsibility. It's not easy being the patriarch, and yes, it's easy to abuse that power. Just because some do it doesn't mean the whole system doesn't work though. My wife prefers being submissive, and if it goes issue by issue with other things, you and she will probably agree with almost everything. She's a liberal Green.

I have seen this in lesbian couples as well, so I have to laugh at the lesbian separatists. I have yet to meet a lesbian couple that has been together for more than several years where one hasn't been the dominant and the other the submissive. I won't even pretend to be the resident expert in lesbians, but come on, I grew up in the San Francisco area. Even us "right-wingers" here are intolerant of homophobia.

men are socialized to believe they are better, stronger, and more important than women. It's not an inherent trait that men are bad - it's that they are taught to be bad.

Wanted to address this. We're not necessarily taught that we are better, stronger, and more important than women, but better, stronger, and more important than the next guy, which includes women. We are a competitive lot, and I think that's a good thing. Of course, you'll always have idiots take it out on innocent people, but I'd rather have competition than the opposite.

I'm very curious about your personal views on prostitution. That's always been an interesting issue for me. I've always believed that prostitution will always exist if people aren't having enough sex.

I really think it should be legalized, so the prostitutes don't have to worry about AIDS and being beat up. Take the pimps out of business to, and it would be a lot more fair to the prostitutes.

Laura said...

Heathen: Thanks, that's a real compliment coming from you since you've been an official Women's Studies student a lot longer than I have.

Zombie: Yeah, that's why I rarely talk about work on my blog - except for my experiences at DePaul - and I never say anything all that objectionable anyway.

You have to remember that on the micro level, whatever works for you personally is different - as you said. But systematic patriarchy is a bad thing for women. But what Radical Feminists argue is that the whole notion of having "one group" in total power is the problem, and that we have to imagine that another way is possible. We're stuck in this rut of social systems that don't necessarily have to exist. We'll get to post-structural feminism later, so I won't get into that too much.

They'd agree with you that true equality is very rare, but only because we haven't succeeded in seeing another way realized.

Classic Patriarchy, as it's practiced in places such as Afghanistan creates many social problems because it has at its core subservience.

As for men being "a competitive lot" - do you really think that's innate? Isn't it possible that if girls were taught at a young age to be as competitive as boys (or boys discouraged from being as competitive) that there wouldn't be such a wide gap in gender traits? Again, I'll get to post structural later since it's really complicated.

Boys are trained that they are better than girls, in very subtle ways. Boys are called on more in classes at school. They are allowed more leway in behavior. They are allowed to take up much more space than girls. Brothers are often given "control" over their sisters or seen as their protectors in school. Boy children have later curfew and more social freedom.

These are all things that don't necessarily have to be so.

The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - Good examples, but once again, it's the fault of parents for not doing their jobs.

Girls can be competitive too. I find strong women sexy. I find a woman who knows what she wants and goes for it sexy. Why are girls taught this is bad? Is it the fault of patriarchy? No, not at all. I'm a completely patriarchal guy, yet I find a strong woman sexy.

I really think in America, things are fair. Sure there's racism, sexism, and homophobia, but it's been on a decline for decades. Now, "underprivileged" groups are using it as an excuse. You (and I) will always be discriminated against for something. There is no equality. I really, truly believe that now in today's America, it's as fair as anywhere in the world, ever. It's time people took advantage of it.

Given that you will be discriminated against, if you're a girl and you don't get called, say it. Make a jackass out of them. Teach them a lesson. Opportunity is there.

There are two types of people, people who make excuses and people who make opportunities. It's all a personal choice. I'm refinery trash. I've had stupid racist cops threaten to shoot me for my skin color. I know prejudice first hand. yet, I'm on my way to becoming filthy rich. I made that choice. I really think we have more opportunity today than we've ever had. And this was even after a jackass CEO sent my job to India.

I'm not at all saying there isn't racism, sexism, etc. I'm just saying if people would spend less time complaining and more time doing what they need to do, they'd get what they want.

Laura said...

Zombie: I don't think you give enough credit to the power of social pressure and the powerful messages sent to children through school socialization. Boys and girls, especially young, are very succeptible to this. Think of all the social rammifications for stepping outside your expected gender boundary, especially for boys. Girls can cross the line more easily and become tom-boys. Boys on the other hand are expected to 'be boys.' If they don't conform, they're a "sissy." If the boy wants to hang out with the girls and play hop scotch rather than baseball, he's teased, beat up, ostracized. Social pressure is a powerful force. Sure when we reach a certain age some of us are strong enough to give a huge "fuck you" to people trying to cubbyhole us. But not everyone is that way - those people go on to enforce the same social norms on others.

The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - Maybe I've been lucky and I don't understand. I had a relatively good childhood.

Yeah, I know we're pigeon-holed, but so is everyone in the entire world. There's pressure to conform in every society that has ever existed. Now I think it's a big problem that boys are told to withhold their competitiveness.

I do think it's partially innate. I used to believe we were blank slates at birth, but not anymore. I think it's about 50/50.

School socialization is socialization. it's inevitable, and a good thing. Sure some kids will be outcasts and some will rise to the top. Ironically, many kids who were outcasts in school end up being more successful later on. For example, look at any 10 year high school reunion. It's a big stereotype that the jocks and the cheerleaders became hideous and the geeks all got rich.

I really think kids need to have setbacks. They need to be teased, to be prodded, to fight, etc. It toughens them up. Life isn't all peaches and cream. It's a tough world out there. If kids don't learn this stuff, they won't be able to deal with it later. The sooner they learn it, the better.

Laura said...

Zombie: I'm not saying we create a fluffy environment where kids are never teased - that's not possible. But think of the specific type of teasing I'm talking about - to force boys to conform to some artificial gender role. As for boys being told not to be competitive - I can see it both ways. Competitiveness, along with discipline and respect for others is a good thing. However, it's not taught that way in most places. Also, why not teach girls to be more assertive? Why not encourage that behavior? It's not encouraged because of the artificial rules we set up for men and women to follow.

What Radical Fem's are saying is imagine the possibilities and the potential of every person within a society and allow them to achieve that, man or woman.

I think you'll relate to Marxist Feminism a little more...

The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - What I'm wondering is are gender roles really artificial?

You probably have heard of that nomadic tribe in the Sahel region of Africa where the men are pretty and stand around and get hit on by woman. The prettier a guy is, the more likely he is to mate with a woman.

That's so rare in cultures that there are endless articles and research on that tribe.

So my conclusion is, how much are innate and how much are learned. I really think a lot is innate.

I'll go read the Marxist Feminist one now...

Oh, one last thing, yes, parents should teach girls to assert themselves more. If I had a daughter, she'd be assertive.

Laura said...

ZS: Yes, I do think that gender roles are artifically created. I think that saying that women are 'created' for a certain purpose is no different than saying that black people were bred to be slaves. Sure, men and women have some differences physically and psychologically, but much of the personality traits that we consider masculine and feminine are socially constructed phenomenon. We'll get to Post Structural feminism later - that's pretty much the stance of the Post Structurists. (which, by the way, is the camp I personally identify most with)

The Zombieslayer said...

Cool. I'll hold off commenting further until you get to that post. :)