10 January 2006

Post Office Woes

So I went to the post office to get new stamps. I was looking forward to using the little ATM machine to avoid standing in line.

I get there, and the line for the windows was at least 100 people long - thank god for the automated machine, I said to myself. It was then that I realized the machine was in pieces on the floor. The other stamp machines only take cash, and having a $20, I did not want 10 pounds of $1 coins as change.

I ask the woman working on it

Me: "Is this the only way to buy stamps with a debit card?"
Her: "You can go to the window"
Me: "ppbbtt... ppbbttt... yeah RIGHT, did you SEE that line?"

I leave.

So for all you who are owed thank-you cards that I was hoping to mail out this week... it'll be a few more days.

sigh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. We need the bloody US$.02 stamps and the machine in our local post office >>WHICH IS THE WORST! POSTOFFICE! EVER!<< sells them in books of ONE!. Yup. One. Put in a buck, get a stamp and .98 back. FUN! Otherwise, you get to wait in a bad characature of a government line. Seriously. It's that bad.

The Zombieslayer said...

The nice thing about living in small towns is there's no line at the post office. The bad thing is neither of us live in small towns. :(

I do like buying stamps. The post office gets creative in their stamp creation. They often have cool people on stamps too.

R said...

ZS -- I agree. A guy I used to work with turned me onto the beauty of weird, not pre-packaged stamps. The trick? Go in and buy 15. Also -- I'll email you my secret strategy for post offices in downtown. I don't want to give away the secret... :)

tshsmom said...

I live in a small town where 2 people in line is a long line. However, our tiny PO is OUT of $.02 stamps!!

Jasenlee said...

Did you go to the one on Lawrence? I hate that f'ing place. I won't go there anymore, I buy all my stamps at Dominick's and will pay the extra for UPS when I need it.

I went in there many times and that machine was broke just about every time. On one occasion I asked them, "did you know your machine was broke again?" Her snotty response was something like "have you ever seen it work?"

The USPS needs to improve a hell of a lot or think about some level of privitization for improvement.

The Zombieslayer said...

Hi R. Let me know if you need my email address.

Laura said...

Thanks for the Tip R: It is quite a hike for me, maybe if I have to ship something it'll be ok. I just have to learn not to go to the Loop Station USPS during the lunch hours.

ZS: Unless you want to travel to Chicago to ship your package, I kinda don't think you'll want this tip. ~R should have put a paragraph break in between her comment to you and the USPS tip... damn English majors ;)

Rudy - No, but I have a story about the Lawrence one that I will tell. That place sucks even worse than the one on Sheffield by DePaul.

R said...

Dang! I thought I did put a break in there! Oops!

Sorry, yes, the tip is for a quiet, secluded post office in downtown Chicago. Conveniently enough, most people working around here forget it is there.