Ok, I finally got some time to weed through this topic. The problem with post-structural theory of any kind, is that it is often too complex for a simple overview and often flies in the face of how most people are taught to understand the world. It is, however, where I view myself in the theoretical world, with a little Marxist feminism thrown in.
Post-Structuralism as a whole stems from French philosophy and can be applied to many topics. The general assumption of post-strucutral theory is that "truth" as we see it is always mediated by our own interpretations and experiences and that true objectivity is, therefore, impossible. Post-structural theory is based mostly in the fields of humanities and focuses much attention on language - since language is our tool for applying meaning to the world.
As George Carlin once said, ideas and thoughts are "fluid. Once you apply a word to a thought, we're stuck with that word for that thought" and it becomes something more concrete. Power is not exercised directly, but through the way in which language shapes and restricts our reality. This is why post-structural feminists challenge certain terminology. This is why it is important that we say "human" instead of "mankind" or "chairperson" instead of "chairman". The use of the gendered terms automatically places the male in the dominant position of normalcy and the woman as the "other". Sure, there are people who take this too far, but language is a powerful tool for both liberation and thought control. If we cannot think to reform how we represent people and situations in language, then we will never be able to truly change the world.
So what does all this mean to feminism? Well, a post-structural feminist would say that gender can never be understood outside of its social construction within a particular culture. No definition of what it means to be a man or woman is concrete or objective - these words and concepts only gain meaning within a particular cultural context, and are limited to that cultural context. They also argue that the way in which gender is constructed in most societies creates artificial hierarchies of power. This occurs because of our habit of defining the world in dualities and comparing some "normative" category with an "other."
In this case, post-structural feminists argue that our society is built around the dualistic view of gender, where males are the normative category and females are the 'other'. This gives males power over females, and automatically gives females an inferior position. This duality, however, is not naturally occuring - it is constructed because that is the way we have been defining our world for centuries. It cannot be naturally occuring because the concept of male carries no meaning by itself. It is not until male is compared to female that it gains definition and meaning.
Post-structural feminists are concerned with the use of language and images that give meaning to gender. How are women (or gender) represented and why? Gender only gains meaning when it is constructed through concrete representations (images, language, etc.). If these representations are what give meaning to gender, then changing these representations can change the meaning and values attached to gender.
Post-structuralists are also interested in how power operates in society. By "power" we do not mean simply active oppression or top-down disciplinary actions. We argue that socialization acts as the primary, non-punative method of persuading people to behave in a certain way. This comes primarily from the writings of Michel Foucault. So, for instance, girls are socialized to want the "fairy tale" where the prince charming sweeps them off their feet and whisks them away to happiness. Girls are rewarded for being passive and shy, but also learn how to display themselves in ways appealing to attract men. Social pressure is the disciplinarian - girls who do not fit into this passive, boy-crazy pattern are ostracized as tom-boys or "dykes". Boys are rewarded for being assertive, active, and to seek out girls (after the age where girls cease be be "icky"). If a boy does not meet the social criteria for appropriate behavior, he is socially punished.
Our male-centric society is exposed when we look at the varying degrees of social punishment weilded on girls and boys who buck the trend. It is obvious that appropriate performance of masculinity for boys is valued more than appropriate performance of femininity for girls. There is much more tolerance for girls who cross into the realm of boys than it is for boys to cross into the realm of girls- there's even a cute name for it - tom-boy. Boys who want to do play with dolls are teased much more viciously than girls who want to play sports. Boys who are classified as "sissy" or "fag" are often subjected to more violence at the hands of classmates and are subjected to more criticism from their parents.
To many people, gender seems to be an inherent trait. Post-structuralists argue that it only seems inherent because the social cues for gender are so ingrained in our everyday social relations. Unless you are able to remove yourself, for a time, from the process and look at it from a different point of view, you won't see it. Those who cannot consider the realm of other possibilities for social order are stuck in their world of absolute truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
"Those who cannot consider the realm of other possibilities for social order are stuck in their world of absolute truth."
I think ther are really two kinds of people in the world. The majority are incapable of considering the realm of other possiblilities because that scares them. They are comfortable in their world of absolute truth, and threatened by the thought it might not be so. You only have to take a quick look at the Christian right, or fundementalist Islam, or any other fundementalist movement to realize this is the case. More broadly, it is true of conservatism in general.
Then there is a minority of people who not only arent threatened by change, but can visualize how much better things might be if change came, Sometimes these people are articulate enough and persistant enough to slowly push the others forward. It is the visionary who bring change. It is those who lack vision who bring stagnation upon us.
"The general assumption of post-strucutral theory is that "truth" as we see it is always mediated by our own interpretations and experiences and that true objectivity is, therefore, impossible."
Is this true? How have the critics of absolute truth (there isn't any other kind) escaped the general doom to inform the rest of us?
It's funny. I don't know if you remember my post on that smart chick that played dumb to not scare away the guys. If you didn't, she was a very smart woman who when asked what she did at the software companies, she always said she was the receptionist, instead of letting them know she's a software engineer.
Anyways, she and I argued repeatedly about word usage. I say "you guys" when there's two women and two men. I say "chairman" even if it's a woman, etc. She argued that that's offensive.
I think changing word usage is running on dangerous ground. Orwell's 1984 warned us of this. Now, granted, there's a huge difference between the Ministry of Peace and using the word chairperson, but I think you see what I'm getting at.
You can look at things completely the other way. When we say "mankind," what if we looked at it this way? What if we say that "mankind" is demasculating, because the "man" in "mankind" applies to both men and women, so "man" only has a 50% chance of referring to a male. Therefore, using terminology like "mankind" is holding back men.
Of course I don't believe that, but I'm just saying one could interpret that either way.
So, for instance, girls are socialized to want the "fairy tale" where the prince charming sweeps them off their feet and whisks them away to happiness. Girls are rewarded for being passive and shy, but also learn how to display themselves in ways appealing to attract men. Social pressure is the disciplinarian - girls who do not fit into this passive, boy-crazy pattern are ostracized as tom-boys or "dykes".
Is this more an anti-female thing or is it the herd mentality? I really think it's the latter. People are so scared of being different that they lash out on those that are different to prove they are the same as everyone else, because they have that need to fit. It's because so many people are sheep.
You did mention the boy part of that equation too, but I was never threatened by that, so I can't relate. Maybe I was lucky. I've always excelled at sports, and boys who were good at sports automatically have a leg up on the other boys. There's no way I'd feel any guilt or remorse whatsoever for it, because I also practiced way more than the average boy.
People aren't just born good. People who play piano well after only one year play piano well because they spend five hours a day for 365 days banging on the thing.
I think this country has a lot of envy for those who are "better." A lot of people who are horrible at sports are jealous of jocks, yet they have no idea just how much work being a jock entails. Same thing with being a musician. Do you think Mozart or Paganini just looked at their respective instruments and suddenly became good? No, they worked their *sses off to get good.
But yes, I think young girls do have it tougher in this respect because being pretty is a heck of a lot easier than being good at sports. And being ugly is something that can't only be remedied so far, short of surgery. Is it fair? No, but life's not only unfair, but it never can be.
Thanks again for another well-written post on another aspect of Feminism I knew nothing about. I really enjoy these posts.
Bear: Why do you think that is though? You can't say that our education system promotes creative/critical thinking, can you? That's because we have bought into the notion that we are born to serve the status quo. Elementary school teaches us to be on time, sit straight, walk in assembly-line fashion - because we are bred to be working drones. Think about the possibilities if we taught all children to be creative thinkers? I'll get into this later since I'm liking the use of my blog to think out in-class discussions I'm having.
Jason: Welcom chicagoan. How'd you find me, just wondrin? To answer your question (also see above) - the "rest of us" aren't listening. We're taught from birth that we are to see the world in only a few narrow ways. Even sciences are branching out into post-structural thought through theories such as chaos. The theories are out there, it's not like they're hidden in some secret library. It just takes the desire to seek them out. Most people are content watching CSI though.
Zombie:Good points as usual. I think if the purpose of changing language is liberatory, i.e. promoting more equality for more people, then it can be a good thing. Once it crosses that line, it becomes Orwellian mind control. If we, as a people, decide that we want to change language it is very different than passively accepting the language given to us by those in power.
Remember that post-structural feminists deal more with the production of gender, not just women. So the different ways in which boys and girls are treated is a huge area of study. They do believe, however, that the current construction of gender places women in inferior positions. Does that answer that question?
being pretty is a heck of a lot easier than being good at sports. ... Is it fair? No, but life's not only unfair, but it never can be.
This is where you lose me. What you're saying is we should passively accept the structure of society that judges women by their looks. What we say is - can't we imagine the possibilities of a society that doesn't? Who constructs society this way and who benefits from the structure? This is all about power. Why should we passively give our power over to consensus?
It is obvious that appropriate performance of masculinity for boys is valued more than appropriate performance of femininity for girls. There is much more tolerance for girls who cross into the realm of boys than it is for boys to cross into the realm of girls- there's even a cute name for it - tom-boy. Boys who want to do play with dolls are teased much more viciously than girls who want to play sports. Boys who are classified as "sissy" or "fag" are often subjected to more violence at the hands of classmates and are subjected to more criticism from their parents.
Yeah, why IS that?
That seems so wrong, yet I find myself agreeing with it. I really don't think you exposed the extreme with the girls abandoning the norm, though. There is a difference between a girl that likes to play sports and is called a tom-boy vs. a girl that wants nothing to do with girly things.
Sadie: Very good point. Personally, I think it is because of the paternalistic view our society holds towards women. Tomboy behavior and even complete rejection of girly things is tolerated up to a certain age. After that, I think it is expected that girls will "grow out of" that phase and become feminine. I also think that this process coincides with puberty, because that's when girls begin to be sexualized. Which shows our perception of women as mere sex objects. It's ok for girls to do boy things at a young age - because it's their sexual development we worry about most. While social pressure increases for boys and girls at this stage, it is constant for boys from birth. Why?
Yeah. *befuddled* I have no idea why that is. Many cultures have that whole Men hunt and provide/women gather and nurture-thing going on. So when we see men and women trying to take on the opposite sex's role--they look unsuccessful in their own role?
It shouldn't be that way though.
My son doesn't play with girly stuff but he has shown a great deal of interest in babies.
I totally nurture it because I think it's great when a man loves children like that.
Ryan is comfortable playing with our three year old niece or his 5 month old baby brother and I think that's wonderful.
I'd get mean if someone were to make fun or critisize his behavior.
It seems to me that our society highly values people when they adopt behaviours traditionally assigned to the opposite gender; we love tomboys who can drink men under the table, and men who can cry at sad movies!
I like the whole part about language giving the terms their meaning. That's the very essence of what I do, day in and day out. While I understand that, if language isn't changable, then the world can't change, the pessimist in me says that even if the language changes, people's ideas won't change. Especially because, like the post-structural feminists point out, these ways of thinking have been in place for how long? So, even if a person says the word "postal employee" versus "mailman", they are just being mindful of the PC rules, whether a person agrees fully with them or not. It's just lipservice.
Your post makes me want to read your previous posts about other types of feminism. :-)
Notta: The change doesn't come quickly. But with each generation, the knee-jerk politically correct use of words will give way to an internalization of the meaning of those words. It takes time, and it takes creative thinkers - which our education system is not set up to produce. We educate people to accept, rather than challenge the status quo, ensuring that systemic change will never happen. But that's something I plan to address soon as well.
This is a subject I kinda struggle with. Because on one hand, I have no trouble with society assigning certain things to gender. I love it when women get dolled up. I think hip huggers, halters, and sweaters are three of the greatest things ever invented. I have the french attitude of viva la differance. I like it when women are coy and flirty.
On the other hand, I have HUGE objections to anyone or thing that says somebody can't be all that they aspire to be. The day the pastor said that women had to be subservient to men, and that there were certain roles/jobs that my daughter wasn't allowed to do, was the day I left the church for good.
So the struggle becomes; "how do we throw out the bathwater without ejecting the baby too"
Actually, I think that inspite of the occasional backlash, North America and western Europe have been amazingly successful at striving toward a reasonable balance. It is one of the very few ares of our culture where I see a good deal of hope!
ZS: being pretty is a heck of a lot easier than being good at sports. ... Is it fair? No, but life's not only unfair, but it never can be.
Laura: This is where you lose me. What you're saying is we should passively accept the structure of society that judges women by their looks. What we say is - can't we imagine the possibilities of a society that doesn't? Who constructs society this way and who benefits from the structure? This is all about power. Why should we passively give our power over to consensus?
Whoops. I didn't word this very well. What I meant was that this is an area I feel bad for women, because you either have it or you don't, which is pretty unfair for women. For guys to be seen as successful in childhood (which where I came from is to be athletic), anyone if they're willing to try hard enough, granted, they have working body parts.
Wondering - It seems to likely to mee that if the Zombieslayer found herself constantly referred to with a feminine pronoun, and in other ways constantly assigned the wrong gender he would begin to rethink his take on the importance of semantics.
I used to have my hair halfway down my back, and have always been rail thin. So from the back, I've been mistaken for a girl more than once. When I turned around, I always got a huge apology.
If I grew up with the words being like that, I wouldn't care. But then again, I try not to sweat the small stuff.
We didn't exactly grow up with money, but to put things in perspective, my father took us to an Indian reservation. It was then I realized I had it pretty good. I was a little kid at the time and I remember the lesson well.
So no, words don't really bother me.
You want to hear sexist words though, check out the Spanish language. If there were twenty full-grown women and one small male child, you're supposed to say what is equivalent to "the males."
Actually Zombie points out something important: English is a non-gendered language. Romance languages, Arabic and a slew of others have gendered words for just about everything. I'm reading a book on Woman and the Qur'an, about how the abmiguity of the Arabic language in combination with existing misogyny in Arabian culture led to the belief that the Qur'an is oppressive to women. She's deconstructing the language, it's interesting.
Zombie - I see most of what you're saying, but I have to disagree with you on the "chairperson" issue. Orwell wasn't warning us of the danger of using different words, he was warning us of the danger of turning a word into a lie. "Ministry of Peace" isn't bad because it's a new term -- it's bad because it's a lie. To call the chair "chairwoman" changes the terminology to be more accurate, not less.
But to really appreciate the post-structuralist language issue, you have to think of words in terms of what is conferred, not what is described. Chairwoman may describe the chair of a meeting, with the insertion of "woman" only necessary because that's how the word is constructed. But the meaning it confers contains two pieces of information -- "She's the chair," and "She's a she." When all that is relevant about the person (in context) is their position as chairperson, why include a second piece of information?
Laura, about the last comment - English is a non-gendered language, but we have no pronoun to denote a gendered being of unkown or unimportant gender. You can't call a person "it," and it's incorrect to say "they," so the English language forces you to apply a gender to every single person.
Post a Comment