30 August 2005

Is it wrong?

Is it wrong of me to feel worse for the pets & animals than for the people in the flooding? Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine the horror of having to leave everything you know behind and watch it be destroyed, or the guilt of having to leave your pet behind, or the loss of a loved one. But at least you have someone to comfort you, and help make sense of the situation, and help you grieve. I can't help but imagine what's going through the pets' minds. They don't understand. At least you can explain what's happening to a child or a person. But a dog only knows they've been left to die. They don't know you had no choice, or that you meant to come back for them.

It makes me sad.

3 comments:

R said...

This won't make you feel any better:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-050830evacuation,1,5978677.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Laura said...

I have a feeling they're gonna move our conference in June... The hotel is (was?) right on Canal street off the river. That would suck though because if the rebuild goes well I would hate to pull those much needed tourist dollars out of the city in their time of need.

R said...

Absolutely!
I was thinking that a long weekend in Florida was in the works, but if New Orleans needs my money, then I'm all for New Orleans!