you know how I can tell? Because I'm more tired lately. I've got seasonal depression, and as the days get darker, I get more sluggish. I'm like a plant, I need sunlight. It'll be fun to watch me drag my ass out of bed at 6am to walk the dog in December. My guess is it won't be happening.
We'll see how this year goes, but I may have to dig up the pills. Maybe invest in a lightbox this year. Yes, they actually make special lamps that emit a certain intensity of light similar to sunlight and it actually triggers chemicals in the brain to counteract depression - weird huh? Or maybe I should just try some vitamins :P
It is extremely hard to concentrate on tedious crap like pages of little numbers when your mind is constantly drifting off. It's only 4pm and I'm already thinking about bedtime... ugh.
15 August 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
When I was in Kentucky I'd get that way, and I considered getting a lightbox, but then I moved to SoCal, where it's sunny probably 300 days a year! I still get plenty depressed, but not seasonally. ;-)
I, for one, will be glad when summer is over. It was a hot one for us this year. Being pregnant just makes everything that much more unbearable. I'm not looking forward to bringing my new baby home in a onesie and a hot car.
I'm used to bringing my babies home all snuggled up in blankies. I had Ry in Jan. and Nat in Nov.
I hate this heat.
Pooh!
Our daughter has the same problem. Her worst periods of depression usually happen right before spring.
I, on the other hand, LOVE winter! I love that it gets dark earlier. Our home always feels so much cozier in the winter.
It's August for Pete's sake. Is it really that miserable in Chicago? I don't remember much of it, because I was just a little squirt when we left it.
ZS: No it's not miserable per se. It's just a little less light. Fall brings more rain, less light=gloom. It's been rainy the past week or so.
TSHSMOM: Yep - February is THE worst month. Gloomy, crappy, egh. It hits me worst around Dec-Feb.
Sadie: Yep, I hear ya. It was hot and I've heard being preggers in summer sucks royally.
Jason: At least mine's predictable ;-).
What's your favorite season?
Mine is FALL.
I even decorate my house in fall colors and dye my hair reddish brown...
I can't wait! October is my favorite month.
Chicago doesn't really have good seasons from which to choose. Summer can range from really nice to ungodly oppresively humid (as last month showed - though this year only 7 people died). Winter can be nice, I don't mind the cold, as long as it's sunny and there's not 12 feet of snow on the ground. Spring is probably my least favorite, at least in Chicago, because it's just wet, and goes from warm to freezing in the blink of an eye. Same with fall. So my favorite "season" is that one week in June where it's about 75 degrees with a breeze...
And then, of course, there's the old saying:
There's only two seasons in Chicago, Winter and Construction...
You know what would be awesome? If you got that lamp and put it in the 3D Last Supper in the bathroom... I know, I know, it's pure genius! Sometimes I find myself amazing too. I can probably come up with some more great ideas if you want...
And, by the way, up here we have a special method of construction (mostly applicable to roadwork)...It's called, the 'tear up the road and then just leave it until the weather gets bad and then do a crappy job finishing it so it falls apart in a year' method of road construction.
Hmmmmm, I'm considering that now... though I think the "artwork" would interfere with the effect of the light.. but it would glow like a halo!
Hee. You'll have to tell me if you get one of those lamps. I've always found the idea intriguing. The month I hate the most? March. March lasts for bloody ever in Chicago.
I've heard that the reason that construction is so skilfully done in Chicago is that there are actually two different "construction" departments. One tears up the old road, and another puts down the new road. They have completely independent schedules, and never consult with each other. I think that frequently, they actually just randomly rearrange the lists, so that sometimes, you get repaving over a road that wasn't regraded yet. It gets regraded after repaving. Then it sits that way until mid winter. Ah, Chicago.
Geez, Laura. from your gloomy descriptions of Chicago, I'm glad we left.
Don't mean to change the subject, but I heard they have some of the most aggressive drivers there as well.
Yes, Chicago drivers suck. Traffic signals are suggestions. In my experience, the more expensive the car, the larger the asshole behind the wheel - at least here.
Don't eat Ethiopian food in Chicago. The three top cities for Ethiopian food are Washington, DC, Atlanta, GA, and Chicago. I don't even want to know who is fourth on the list. I know, I know, Ethiopian food sounds like an oxymoron, but it is fine cuisine indeed. Except in Chicago! They serve raw, rancid, cheap hamburger meat with some chili powder and try to tell you it's Kitfo.
Most of my experience with Chicago was in the airport and the bus station. I ran away from boarding school when I was thirteen. I ended-up at the Chicago bus station at 2:00AM Saturday morning.
Images from my time there are engraved upon my mind. I have other experiences that match that in weirdness and bewildering horror. Nothing else, however, has ever made me think, "Oh, yeah, this is just like the Chicago Bus Station in full swing."
You were at the Greyhound station at 2 in the morning at age 13? No wonder you've got bad memories of Chicago. Seriously. That has to be one of the ugliest, scariest places in the city -- in broad daylight. Give Chicago another try. It's really a beautiful, wonderful city. (Despite the sucky drivers, the construction, and freaky weather patterns.) New York and LA? Can't touch Chicago, in my opinion. It's got a down-to-earth, unintimidating quality that I really appreciate, and not just because I live here.
Been to LA, hated every minute of it. You have to drive everywhere - too spread out. I liked Santa Barbara, but I don't think I could live there.
I liked New York. I didn't live there, but for the week I was there it was interesting.
The only city I've visited that I'd want to live in other than Chicago is Boston. Kaua'i would be nice - but realistically just too far away from, well, everything.
Post a Comment