I never really knew Lichtenstein until I met John. I guess his background in graphic arts naturally led him to an artist with such a graphic style. We saw an exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art a few years ago and after that I found him a poster print of a work he liked.
It's a strange print because it's not really a poster, as the ink is printed in a specialized printing method called photogravure. Since the ink is slightly raised above the paper, so when we got it framed, it couldn't be dry (heat) mounted. Unfortunately this means that over time, the poster could warp. That print is called Yellow & Green Brushstrokes.
The other print, As I Opened Fire we bought in Lahaina, Maui on our honeymoon. Actually, we bought it the day before the wedding, but still... It's an authorized lithograph, which means Lichtenstein himself did the pressing - so while it's not a "painting" it's still his work.
The third one in our "collection" is a poster from a 1969 exhibit at the guggenheim that one of our friends' old tenants left behind when he moved - so we inherited it.
Later Saturday we took out the A/C units, and John slipped while trying to put the screen back on the window. He tried to stand on this old wooden bench that must have been rotten - it had a bunch of slugs living on it who soon got smooshed on John's pants (eeeew). So his shoulder is a little sore and he cut his finger a little on the screen. But no harm done.
Sunday I took the comforter to the landromat - it's amazing that even washing it in a giant washer and giant dryer and STILL it's covered in fur. oh well.
Then we went to the store and got some pumpkins. I found a couple stencils online, which weren't free but I just did a "print screen" and cleaned them up in photoshop. I know it's early for pumpkins yet, but I was just SO excited. I haven't carved a pumpkin in years. So we made Mr. Oogie Boogie and Jack Skellington.

The trick to the small cuts by the way: Dremmel. We can't be the only nerds that use a dremmel tool on Jack-O-Lanterns, can we?
5 comments:
*nice Bush gesture by the way--rolling eyes and giggling*
Cool pumpkins Laura! I love the Oogie Boogie one! I'm gonna get me some of those for the kiddies.
My freshman English teacher in high school had a Lichtenstein poster in his classroom and it got me interested in modern art. Moreso than the classroom material we covered.
Awesome pumpkins! I'm jealous!
The first step is admitting you have a problem. Power tools on pumpkins ... that ain't right. :-)
I have an orange and black dremel just for pumpkin carving... Don't feel bad. :)
Post a Comment