25 October 2005

Ouch...

Last night was the second time I've ever had a deep muscle massage, and even though it was 2 hours (he spent over an hour on my right shoulder!) it doesn't hurt nearly as much as the other one I had. It's a little sore today, but it's a good kind of sore. Not the "Ow, I've been doing yardwork all day sore" but a "I just swam 30 laps and feel great" kind of sore.

(Side note ~R I think this is the guy you used to go to - Phaedra's friend who works at the Chicago School)...

He also said I'm dehydrated. Apparently I have things stuck together in my upper back that shouldn't even be touching. Maybe I'm not falling apart after all... One can only hope the solution to my bodily pains is more water. I also find it strange that no other massage therapist ever mentioned this as a potential problem. I don't think he's jerkin my chain though, I trust him more than some stranger at a spa, as he's a friend of a friend.

I know I don't drink nearly enough water - even John says that. I heard last weekend that you're supposed to drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water every day. So I'd have to drink nearly 3 quarts of water per day. Problem with that is twofold:

1. Our water fountain at work sucks, and our refrigerator isn't big enough for a Brita pitcher. I can't drink room temperature water - it has to be cold.

2. My office is not strategically located close to a bathroom. We have a bathroom either 3 floors up or 5 floors down. The one 3 floors up is walkable on days I feel like going up & down stairs. And I could use more exercise I suppose. The one 5 floors down is not walkable (for me anyway) and the elevator is so fuckin slow. So unless I get a cathader, I'd be spending half my workday either en route to or from the bathroom or actually in the bathroom...

I'm going to try and drink more water though, I know it's good for me, and I really mean to. I just forget.

Oh the weather outside is crappy.
That makes me very unhappy.

Cold rain is the worst. I don't mind warm rain. I actually like walking in a summer rainstorm. But cold rain is like the heavens spitting frozen darts at your skin and it just chills you to the core.

Yawn

5 comments:

R said...

Patrick? Patrick was the best. Although when I was in St. Louis, Michele beat him squarely.
If I remember correctly, something like 70% of people are chronically dehydrated, at least a little. Because I'm such a geek, I pride myself on being chronically overhydrated. :) I would love it if the bathroom was three flights of stairs away. Partly because I'm a masochist. But I have restless feet (I should have put that in the idiosyncrasies post!) and I need to just get up a few times an hour and walk around. Sometimes, I have no reason to get up and just go put a file away or something.

Laura said...

Oh, I guess this is a different guy. His name is Galen - and my dear god... ow. He's a friend of Phaedra, so trust his judgement. Heather told me about the place in St. Louis.

Sadie Lou said...

Ack. You just reminded me to drink more water. *sets down Sprite--picks up water glass*
I'm nursing so it's like vital to my health. I don't really like drinking water and like you, it's gotta be cold.

tshsmom said...

Snow is warmer than cold rain!

I gotta have ice cubes in my water. I can drink warm, flat pop, but my water HAS to be cold! I have been doing better on the water thing lately.

Last summer I read an article on the hazards of overhydration. I always think of this when I see those people that always have to have a bottle of water in their hand. heehee

The Zombieslayer said...

Laura - Muscles are nothing but protein and water. Your body will feel much better if it was hydrated. All my masseuses I've ever had said I needed to drink more water. I'm finally taking that to heart.

Luckily in my profession, they usually supply bottled water. You might want to buy some bulk bottled water and bring a few bottles a day to work.