The tradition of Halloween dates back centuries to pre-Christian Europe. Though there were other societies that celebrated the beginning of winter and the end of the harvest, the most commonly associated with modern Halloween has its roots in Ireland, the British Isles, and parts of France and Germany with the Celtic traditions.Samhain (Sowan) is pronounced and spelled differently depending on who you ask, the basic history of the holiday is that this was the day when the barrier between the world of the living and the world of the dead was most porous. To some pagans, this was also the begining of the New Year, the beginning of Winter and the time of the last harvest.
People believed that this day was when their ancestors could breach the barrier between worlds and visit the living for a time as the wandering dead. A tradition developed in Ireland of leaving treats for your visiting ancestors carve scary faces into turnips placed on their doorsteps to prevent other spirits from playing tricks or doing you harm. Some people would dress up in as ghosts, both to honor the dead and ward off evil spirits.
"As a feast of divination, this was the night par excellence for peering into the future. The reason for this has to do with the Celtic view of time. In a culture that uses a linear concept of time, like our modern one, New Year’s Eve is simply a milestone on a very long road that stretches in a straight line from birth to death. Thus, the New Year’s festival is a part of time. The ancient Celtic view of time, however, is cyclical. And in this framework, New Year’s Eve represents a point outside of time, when the natural order of the universe dissolves back into primordial chaos, preparatory to reestablishing itself in a new order. Thus, Samhain is a night that exists outside of time and, hence, it may be used to view any other point in time. At no other holiday is a tarot card reading, crystal reading, or tealeaf reading so likely to succeed. (Nichols, 2005)
The Romans, masters of the melting pot, rather than try to stamp out local traditions after the Empire declared Christianity the official religion, at first, simply melded them into those of the Church. Samhain became "All Hallows Eve" and the next day became "All Hallows Day" (All Saints Day) to commemmorate the dead.
In America, the influx of Irish and German immigrants brought their traditions, and merged them with American culture. Turnips gave way to the more readily available and easier to carve pumpkins, and children began dressing up as ghosts and trick-or-treating.
So have a safe and Happy Halloween everyone!
Blessed Be.
5 comments:
Nice post
Laura - Love posts like these.
I'm no expert, but knew part of this. Junior wanted to dress up in drag, and I told him he has to keep with the traditional spirit of Halloween and be something scary. So he's going to be an ice vampire.
I don't know; little boys in drag sounds scary to me.
I hate to ruin my macho man image, but in 7th grade, I went as Elizabeth Taylor. My female classmates had great fun doing my makeup and hair, and it didn't hurt my social life either. I got kissed by a girl who went to the halloween party as James Dean!
Happy belated Samhain!
I put off my celebration until last night but I hope that you had the chance to do something to recognize the ancestors! (I was in no state to celebrate the holiday until after I finished my defense.)
Post a Comment