14 October 2005

I have to stop being surprised by their sleeze...

I ask myself daily why I am still surprised by the Bush Administration and their failed attempts at every turn to restore "honor and integrity"... Someone explain to me please, WHY people still support this lying piece-of-shit douchebag?

From the Center for American Progress:

THE MEDIA BLITZ: Yesterday, in what was "billed as a conversation with U.S. troops," President Bush spoke via teleconference with a "handpicked group of U.S. troops," asking questions that were "choreographed to match his goals for the war in Iraq and Saturday's vote on a new Iraqi constitution." Following the event, Pentagon communications aide Allison Barber "insisted" to reporters that questions "were not rehearsed," and that no "specific questions" were prepared. Unfortunately, she was caught on tape prepping the soldiers and acknowledging just the opposite - that she had "drilled through" "all six" of the questions that Bush was going to ask. (Watch the video.) Nevertheless, the Bush administration still refused to admit the teleconference was simply a choreographed photo-op. Asked by a reporter whether the questions to the president were in any way pre-screened, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "No. ... This is a back-and-forth."

13 comments:

Jasenlee said...

I can understand giving the troops a run down on operational stuff... i.e. the mic works this way, you need to speak at this volume, etc. but anything more than that makes it theater.
And even more than that, it's not even good theater. I would recommend they all watch a copy of Wag the Dog and get a real Hollywood producer to do this work for them. If I'm going to be told stories I at least want them to be good.

Again, the audacity of this administration never ceases to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

And "if all else fails..sing"??? What a horrible joke! She lies, tells horrible jokes, what next?

Anonymous said...

She's probably told the president the same "advice". Expect some singing in the next presidential address to the nation.

tshsmom said...

Why can't these people ever admit it when they get caught? Lying about it just makes them look worse!

Laura said...

Because the American people still keep letting them off the hook, that's why. At this point I'm more pissed off at people who, after all the lies and deception, still unquestioningly support these clowns.

tshsmom said...

What really bothers me is, what is this teaching our children?
I have accountability in my life and I expect the same from our elected officials. Once again they've forgotten who they're working for!

Shawn said...

Oh, they haven't forgotten...they just don't really care. Unfortunately, most of our countrypeople are too dumb to notice or too complacent to care...

Sadie Lou said...

...or were taught to sit back and let people dig their own holes without complaining about it every five seconds. It would appear that a lot of people are dissastisfied with Bush--yes? I just wonder how with this much grumbling how he still did so well at the polls. With all the press over libs rallying the vote, it's a miracle Bush won as large as he did.

Laura said...

Sadie: I ask myself that same question. And it comes down to divisive politics. It's easy to convince a country full of apathetics that dudes kissing is the root of all our problems and should take precedence over matters such as economics, war, truthfulness... The problem is also our Media. We've got as close to a state run media as you can get. Sure the media isn't owned by the state, but it's owned by the corporations who own the government.

We're taught to care what Brittney Spears wore at the MTV Music Awards more than the body armor our soldiers don't have in Iraq. Why? Because it keeps us complacent.

I don't think Americans are stupid, per se, but most Americans are stuck in a sleepwalking nightmare that they feel they have no power to change. And that's exactly the way those in power like it.

tshsmom said...

That's hitting the nail on the head!!
Bloggers have opened the eyes of a LOT of complacent people. Keep up the good work, Laura!

The Zombieslayer said...

Good post, Laura. I keep trying to give Bush chances, but forgive the highly unpolitically correct comparison, but it's making me look like a battered spouse apologizing for the beatings.

Enough's enough. he's not even a true conservative. We need flesh blood in there. The Bush's are the worst thing to happen to the Republican party in decades. Please, somebody bring me a real conservative. We need to resurrect Barry Goldwater.

greatwhitebear said...

Laura, I think you're wrong. i am convinced that at least 60% of Americans are stupid. It's because the idiots are breeding faster than the intelligent people, I think I blogged about that once.

Of course, It might just be the state that I live in......

Donna said...

I'm with you greatwhitebear. People are dumb. Also, it's totally easier to focus on your own little sphere of problems than to think about what the government jerkoffs are doing. And this applies to everyone, the poor struggling to make a buck as well as the spoiled rich kids on Laguna Beach. Your own problems are infinitely more important for reasons ranging from you have to concentrate on surviving day to day all the way to "WhatEVER, I HAVE to get the first new Prada bag in this town!!!" People usually have enough shit to deal with (real or imagined) to pay attention to any steaming dumps this administration takes.