03 October 2005

Where to begin...

What a weekend. I took Friday off work so I got to relax a little. I went to the local butcher to get some ribs for Saturday's summer's last hurrah barbeque. It started getting cold last week, so I figured it would be one of the last chances to grill - then I see it will get up to 85 this week. Welcome to Chicago... 41 overnight low's last week, high of 85 this wednesday, then back down to 53 by the end of the week - go figure! I dry rubbed the ribs and put them in the fridge. I got a small pork roast too, seeing how John and I plowed through a rack and a half by ourselves the last time, two would not be enough for four people, but it's all the butcher had left.

So Friday night we went to celebrate Auntie Heathen's 30th birthday. She an Cillic came up from St. Louis for Tapas. I made sure John ate dinner beforehand since there's pretty much nothing at a Tapas bar that he will eat. The Queen of the Universe made a brief appearance - but she had to get up bright and early saturday to take the LSAT. Apparently it went pretty well.

After dinner and lots of sangria, I went with cillic and heathen to neo. Seeing how I had a busy saturday, I didn't stay out late and ended up leaving about midnight or so.

The Sangria hit me pretty hard the next morning and I had a bit of a headache. We went to the grocery store to get some stuff for the barbecue - our friends Jasen & Michael were coming over.

Our landlord came by to show us the heat and to talk about a couple problems I brought up. I really wish he'd call before he comes by. I just hate drop-ins, no matter who it is. The heat is included, and apparently we control it for the whole building. That sucks though, since our place will be the warmest. We'll just have to close a few registers. I'd rather have it that way than have no control though. We also realized that one of our outlets is actually wired to another apartment's circuit box. That's a huge code violation. They're apparently not going to fix it, so fine. I don't want to cause trouble, so if anything else, I'll notify the city inspectors after we move out - whenever that is. Our little freezer is on that circuit, so the upstairs neighbor is paying for keeping our food frozen. Fine with me I guess. At least it's better than my first apartment, where we had to turn off all the lights to run the microwave.

So we made ribs, using the method from the Church Potluck (except no sauce). That pan of water in the drip pan makes ALL the difference! I grilled some veggie skewers and cooked the pork roast the rest of the way on the grill (I threw it in the oven with some fresh herbs and white truffle oil since there wasn't room on the grill).

They turned out really well. We all gorged ourselves. I was going to go back out to Neo since the Queen finished her LSAT and wanted to celebrate. But by the time everyone got around to getting there it was just way too late. I'd been up cooking all day and had to get up at a reasonable time for brunch on Sunday.

My parents got us a certificate for Sunday Brunch at the Drake for our anniversary. If you're looking for a good Sunday brunch buffett in the city, that's it. Each table gets champagne and fresh, cold shellfish (crab claws, shrimp and oysters - we didn't eat the oysters (yuk). John found apple crepes, so he was in heaven. Everything was great and the presentation was beautiful. I'd love to go back there just for desserts. Someday maybe.

We just vegged out the rest of the day. John's getting a cold I think.

So I had a good weekend. And then I got up this morning and read that Bush is appointing someone with NO judicial experience to the Supreme Court. What is it with this guy and appointing unqualified people? A horse show administrator to FEMA, a veternarian as the acting director of Women's Health (that one got such bad press that he quickly took it back - but it shows you how little thought beyond cronyism he gives to his appointments) So what if she was White House Council. She has NO experience on the bench. We're lucky she wasn't a horse breeder I guess. You know they'll spin this to say that she hasn't been "tainted" by our liberal activist judicial system... no, she's only tainted by protecting a liar.

What bullshit.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like Waldorf and Statler (from the muppets)laughing from the wings at what this administration is doing. There's something really said about that thought. I'd rather not be either of those guys. I wanna be grover.

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I meant sad, not said. "I" gets confused and likes to end up between a and d a lot.

Laura said...

Don't know if you want to be Grover. Unless he's made a comeback? Ever since Elmo stole his job he was in the gutter turning tricks for a hit of Woolite. Maybe he's cleaned himself up by now...

Anonymous said...

Elmo makes me puke (blaaalllhh) Excuse me.

The Zombieslayer said...

You know what always worked for me? Water. As soon as you wake up, drink as much water as possible. Then if there's one near you, order some pho. I'm telling you. It works for hangovers.

Anonymous said...

http://www.unknownnews.org/0509260920MysticalWarriors.html

Sadie Lou said...

Zombie, did you type 'pho'?
What is that?

Shawn said...

Cheers to that... I suppose it proves he's not sexist. As long as you're loyal to the club, you can get a piece of pie...even if you're not a white male.

I'm not sure that filling slots with toadies is the best way of doing business, but what do I know, I've never run a horse show. Maybe that was really, really hard.

And maybe his newest choice to join the Supremes is really, really smart and uses lots of big words I don't even know about.

I feel like those old muppet guys all the time, I just never put my finger on it. Now, I can at least laugh about it.

Oh, and it sounds like a good weekend.

Donna said...

Seriously, what's "pho"?

R said...

Yeah! What the hell is pho?

Laura said...

from what I found by Googling "Pho" and "Hangover" I found it's a Vietnamese beef soup... yeah, no.

I usually take a couple aspirin and a glass of water before I go to bed, but that night I was just TOO out of it to care.

Sadie Lou said...

Vietnamese beef soup...

ew. One of the lesser known cures for a hangover...I wonder why.

The Zombieslayer said...

Yup, it's Vietnamese noodle soup. Trust me, it works.